Saturday, May 14, 2011

Choosing a Lipstick Color


Finding the right lipstick color is a chore for me. I have a lot of problems with it. I like to play up my eyes, so I use a shad that's very close to my own. The key is if you play up the eyes, don't play up the lips; play up the lips, play down the eyes. Everything's about proportions. You don't want to look like a clown.

This might be another time where I have to go to the makeup counter and get someone to help me. I'm going to try to see if I can find the solution myself. I've read about color having undertones, which I can't figure out.


Keep in mind I have fair skin, dark brown hair, and bluish-gray eyes. Turns out, not just looking at the skin plays into the color choice. My skin has red tones in it.

  1. Light-brown beige with pink or orange undertones complement a lighter skin tone. I think the pink undertones would be best for me.
  2. Try medium tones with richer colors, like caramel or deep pink, if you have dark hair and light skin. I usually do a dusty rose color.
  3. The most flattering lip tones will be one or two shades darker than your natural lip color, according to makeup artist Bobbi Brown. To test shades, apply lipstick or gloss to one lip. If that color is just a shade or two deeper than your bare lip, then you've found your shade.
Now, I want to go out and test some shades. I lost my great lipstick. It's Rose Aglow from Clinique, but I think it might be a shade too dark. Need to go back and get a shade.

Source: About.com

No comments:

Post a Comment