Friday, June 10, 2011

At-Home Manicure

I love a good manicure, but I'm short on $$. I've decided to learn how to give myself a manicure at home. I've painted my nails in the past, but I've never used a base coat. So, I went out and bought one. For the top and base coats, I'm using Sally Hansen Double Duty Strengthening Base & Top Coat and for the color, I'm using Sally Hansen Hard as Nails 08 First Blush. This is a soft, romantic pink. I almost did a soft white, but I'll try it next.




Manicure
  1. Clean nails with nail polish remover, even if you don't have any color on.
  2. Shape your nails. Use clippers and a nail file to shape nails. When you file, don't saw back and forth -- it can weaken nails. Instead, start at one edge and move across the top in one fluid motion. I'm keeping mine short-ish. The nail will still be over the finger. The shape will be slightly round.
  3. Soak in soapy water for a few minutes to soften cuticles. Use warm water and add dishwasher detergent to it - no too much!
  4. Use a cuticle cream. Rub in and then push back cuticle.
  5. Wash off and then add a lotion to hands.
  6. Use polish remover again on nails. Dry.
  7. Add base coat. Dry for 1-2 minutes.
  8. Add two coats of color. Always apply polish by starting on the side of the nail. You should be able to cover the nail in three stokes, one on each side and one in the middle. Be sure you let them dry between coats.
  9. Apply top coat.
There you go! I recommend doing this while watching a movie you love and have seen before.

No comments:

Post a Comment